Aerial. Amazing Sales. Comeback: Mission Accomplished!

This forum contains the first archive of messages from the Aerial board in a read-only format.
Haptic Dave
Running (Up That Hill)

08 Nov 2005, 14:21 #1

I think that this album has been promoted surperbly and in a manner Kate would be happy with, the listening parties and the quality press coverage and tabloid reviews have been amazing.
Kate's first day sales are an incredible 34k in one day and are likely to top well over 100k (perhaps 150k) in the first week.... a number one smash album in most siutations.
This is likely to be a platinum in terms of sales. The only criticsm I might have is this could have been released in a better week to assure the number 1 postion, but this is probably down to Kate's time of finshing the album and general timing as much as a mistake by EMI.
As long as there are at least two more well timed and chosen singles that reflect the scope of both discs, will new b-sides, I think this could sell more than 500k.
Well done Kate, its not just the die hard fans that are buying, you are relevant to a large swathe of the record buying public, even in this bug eating, celeb obsessed, mad world.

bootboyuk
Running (Up That Hill)

08 Nov 2005, 14:30 #2

Where's that figure from? That's bloody good! Isn't that only a few (10?) thousand under The Dreaming's sales?

waveafterwave
Dreaming

08 Nov 2005, 14:30 #3

34K = that is great!
Unless Music Week are wrong that is just 6K behind Il Divo's sales.

birgittesc
Cloudbusting!

08 Nov 2005, 14:35 #4

But these are British figures. I'd like to see how well (er...) the sales are going in other countries in mainland Europe. Like how's she doing in the German and French charts?
Free Leslie Van Houten BirgitteSC.com Birgitte's Kate Bush Page
To be is to do - Socrates
To do is to be - Sartre
Do be do be do - Sinatra

Aevericka MansonCasefile.co.cc Birgitte's Kate Bush Page

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

-- Albert Einstein

Haptic Dave
Running (Up That Hill)

08 Nov 2005, 14:36 #5

It from Cool Clarity
Check out this link, they are rarely wrong:
www.coolclarity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=53560

arlingtonkb
Running (Up That Hill)

08 Nov 2005, 14:38 #6

Think Aerial may be kt's biggest moneymaker yet. don't really think big sales were the first thing on kt's mind, but Aerial is doing superbly around the globe. Will likely be her biggest seller in the U.S. as well.

Haptic Dave
Running (Up That Hill)

08 Nov 2005, 14:41 #7

A big seller in the US. really, I am interested to know why this will happen.
Dave xxx

Traxtv
Cloudbusting!

08 Nov 2005, 14:46 #8

Ummm US will be the one to watch.
Come on it would be an injustice if illdivvies get the UK no1 album spot!==================
Founder of the very comfortable Red Shoes club (with a dove to my right and a goat to my left and Snappy at my heals)!
Plus the nutters club!
The stars are caught in our hair
==================

Founder of the very comfortable Red Shoes club with: Snappy, Reedyrivergirl,Super diva Donna and Kerry. Plus Remebergenie knows a good brogue!

------------------

My bottom has never been the same since Bournemouth.

wiseland
Running (Up That Hill)

08 Nov 2005, 14:47 #9

Classic cross-over stereotype music is having a great impact on chart in recent years. People tend to think this is new and great music, but excluding me.
I expect more of the same kind of manufactured crossover bands would emerge followed by the success of Il Divo.

08 Nov 2005, 14:47 #10

I think Kate remaining low key, as opposed to going on all the chat shows has paid off here. A lot of people are drawn to Kate because she isn't a celebrity and by not taking the celebrity route, even begrudgingly, has played a big part in helping to sell this record.
And there's the fact that it contains sixteen of Kate's best ever songs of course! Image In the end only kindness matters.

Haptic Dave
Running (Up That Hill)

08 Nov 2005, 14:55 #11

I know TraxTv is does seem an injustice, but who remembers any tracks of their last huge selling album.
A number 2 platinum selling album of classics, which will remembered for years, I know where I would prefer to to be as an artist!
Actually I think Kate will have a little chuckle at losing out to Simon Cowells manufactered italian waiters. He he.

delius amut
Moving

08 Nov 2005, 17:00 #12

It's good to remember too that this is a double album so that each copy sold counts for two towards award certification and also that the increased price may make casual buyers more weary at the onset. They'd be more likely to purchase The Whole Story or Hounds of Love upon first purchase.

Haptic Dave
Running (Up That Hill)

08 Nov 2005, 18:43 #13

IKs that really true about double certification. I'm not questioning your facts, its just I dodn't know this, interesting.
So if Aerial sells 150,000 this week, it will will be the equivalent of 300k and go platinum in a week.
How cool would that be.
Wow

Disbelievingangel
Dreaming

08 Nov 2005, 19:35 #14

I think its going to do well in Canada. I was in a record store this morning, right when it opened and everyone at the cash had a copy of Aerial in their hands!
Welcome back Kate. Canada's missed you.