Greg Dulli's Twilight Singers to cover Cloudbusting

This forum contains the first archive of messages from the Other Artists board in a read-only format.
Rinfy
Showing (a little devotion)

13 Mar 2004, 01:56 #1

Have no idea who these guys are, but here's the article
geoff
...who is this guy? Is he some kind of nut or what? . . .
geoff

Member of the US Assemblage...

wootican
Dreaming

13 Mar 2004, 06:39 #2

Ever hear of the Afghan Whigs by any chance? He was the lead singer of that band. He's a huge Kate fan and covers her music in concert a lot. I've heard their version of "Cloudbusting" before, and I can't wait to hear it on a proper CD.

Rinfy

14 Mar 2004, 17:07 #3

Ah-hah! I have heard of Afghan Whigs. And now that you mention that, Greg Dulli's name now becomes familiar...>Dgeoff
geoff

Mondo Sinistro
Cloudbusting!

14 Mar 2004, 23:58 #4

There once was a party in the US called the Whigs. I never did find out why they were called that. Anyone know? And why did they disappear? Did a meteor call on them or something? Clearing the way for more adaptable creatures like the Republicans?

Mike Wade
Cloudbusting!

15 Mar 2004, 00:25 #5

Uk politics used to be the Whigs (Liberals) and Tories (Conservatives) - guess it came from that?
Mike
x

Mondo Sinistro
Cloudbusting!

15 Mar 2004, 13:21 #6

Quote:
Uk politics used to be the Whigs (Liberals) and Tories (Conservatives) - guess it came from that?
Ah yes, that does it--another mystery cleared up. Thanks!

Rinfy

15 Mar 2004, 16:27 #7

More information than you ever wanted to know on the American Whig party:
HERE!
And a list of how the Afghan Whigs may have got their name:
1. "A White Moslem group that went around painting flowers on things" (Volume 8, 1993). This group's existence has not yet been independently verfied.
2. A huge marijuana joint (when a concert-goer asked Rick McCollum this, he laughed but didn't deny it)
3. A variation on the "Black Republicans" (ethnic group, political party) formula
4. The result of a drug trip.
(from here)
geoff
geoff

Suzume
Running (Up That Hill)

27 Mar 2004, 18:01 #8

Another article related to this cover version:
www.lacitybeat.com/articl...ssueNum=42

zebedeez

23 Jan 2006, 09:35 #9

Does anyone know if this ever was released? I'd love to hear it!
Zeb

(This is the article from Billboard)
Greg Dulli's Twilight Singers are planning to record an EP of covers, to be titled "She Loves You" and due for release this summer by One Little Indian. Tracks scheduled to be tackled include the Billie Holiday-popularized "Strange Fruit," John Coltrane's "A Love Supreme," Kate Bush's "Cloudbusting," Mary J. Blige's "Real Love" and the Rufus and Chaka Khan chestnut "Ain't Nobody."
Dulli and company have also recorded George Gershwin's "Summertime" with Italian artist Manuel Agnelli. The group recently completed a five-week European tour in support of its latest album, "Blackberry Belle." A new round of U.S. dates kicks off March 27 in Orlando, Fla.
-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.