Yuku and the future of ezboard

Peter
Showing (a little devotion)

22 Jul 2006, 15:17 #1

Seems like we have this bearing down on us:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezboard
Be grateful for opinions on this proposed change by ezboard, and what you all think of the new Yuku system - so far as what is currently known about it.
Peter
HomeGround the Kate Bush Magazine

Proud member of the "Kate IS/WAS/AND CONTINUES TO BE WONDERFUL" Nutters Club
[email protected]

Mike Wade
Cloudbusting!

22 Jul 2006, 15:53 #2

ezboard
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
ezboard, Inc., based in the San Francisco, California, United States, is the largest provider of free hosted Internet forums.
Tagline: Connecting people like you. Past headline: helping.people.connect
ezboard offers free and paid accounts for both boards and users. The free accounts are supported through advertisements, and have fewer features in regards to customization and board management. Paid members are called "ezSupporters", while paid message boards are referred to as "Gold boards"; both are given a wide variety of features and options. Accounts can either be local (deprecated) and tied to a specific board, or global, which can be used for posting across the entire ezboard network.
Considered an easy message board solution for webmasters or message board admins with little experience of running a web site and general coding, ezboard supports a volunteer community that helps its users, some of them quite proficient with message board customization.
On May 31, 2005, ezboard was cracked, causing many boards to lose information, become inaccessible, or be completely wiped. ezboard stated that all historical post data and a significant amount of backup data was erased. Over the next month, some data that had been lost on ezboard was recovered; ezboard stating that there was some data from about 4000 non-Gold communities that had been restored. ezboard has never stated precisely what proportion of data was lost and what was restored.
At DEMOfall 2005, in Huntington Beach ezboard, Inc. launched its new product, Yuku a message board application with greater JavaScript use. Some members of the ezboard community have already begun beta testing Yuku, which is due to be released during 2006. While keeping a tight lid on final details thus far, ezboard has stated that the new message board platform would allow its registered users to utilize social networking and media sharing among other features that are due to be released when the system goes live. Yuku's feature-set continues to be developed and expanded.
On March 7, 2006, ezboard's CEO stated that all ezboards would move to their new flagship product Yuku when it was ready and that they anticipate this will be in late 2006. While still in development, Yuku will give ezboard users access to both platforms (Yuku and ezboard). In the meantime, the ezboard product has been frozen in relation to bug fixing and development and ezboard message boards will at some point have to move over to the newly developed software, per the CEO's statement.

Collin
Cloudbusting!

22 Jul 2006, 15:56 #3

I expect there will be glitches, bugs and frustration galore when this move happens. It's typical when moving an entire platform to another. Do keep us posted Peter and Mike...esp. when they announce the shift will happen. Cheers. Image

Mike Wade
Cloudbusting!

22 Jul 2006, 16:03 #4

I'm thinking we would not want to be the first to move across! Could be good in teh longer term though.
Mike
x

22 Jul 2006, 20:46 #5

It means nothing to me... doubledutch. I haven't any opinion that would be of any use!

Stev0prime
Cloudbusting!

22 Jul 2006, 21:04 #6

Anything would be better than the current EZ Board platform.
I wonder if Yuku will have a working search engine, if its PMs will still fling you to a random board, if you'll still mysteriously log out for no reason, and several smaller glitches we all know and hate in EZ Board.
=======
Vice President, "The Line, The Cross, and The Curve" Is the Greatest Movie Ever Made Club
=======

Vice President, "The Line, The Cross, and The Curve" Is the Greatest Movie Ever Made Club

Stev0prime
Cloudbusting!

22 Jul 2006, 21:10 #7

This does not bode well. I tried registering a new account on Yuku and it said "Sorry this profile name is taken on EZboard and is being reserved. Please choose another name."
So I went to the main page and tried logging in with my EZBoard account and it said
Quote:
Sorry, your login attempt failed.
* Login Failed: Please re-enter your Email and Password
You can create a new profile here
I've got a bad feeling about this.
=======
=======

22 Jul 2006, 22:37 #8

I don't know how much anyone else uses the PMs but I use them a lot. The one or two Yuku profiles I've looked at don't seem to have a message link that I could see. Hopefully it's just a matter of familiarization. Have you got my trousers?
John - Australia Too Much Kate is Never Enough

bigstripeydave
Looking (At The Big Sky!)

23 Jul 2006, 01:43 #9

I have a Yuku profile already. It doesn't do much yet, but I guess once we've all made the move it'll be ok. Changing systems is never a fun experience and results in lots of angsty moments, but once you've moved on things pick up and you get used to it. Hopefully there will be some better functionality with Yuku. Hope we can keep the colour scheme though! Image
I hope they fix up that location thing where even though I've said I'm from Australia, they make me pick a US state. As far as I know, there's no place in Kansas called "Geelong".
Proud member of the "Kate IS/WAS/AND CONTINUES TO BE WONDERFUL Nutters" Club

your name is being called by sacred things that are not addressed or listened to
sometimes they blow trumpets
this house is full of madness

dave's space

23 Jul 2006, 02:42 #10

Quote:
there's no place in Kansas called "Geelong".

I don't think we're in Kansas any more Toto! Have you got my trousers?

ProfessorMcGonagell
Showing (a little devotion)

23 Jul 2006, 03:42 #11

^ Image
Does that mean our accounts from Ezboard are transferred to Yuku, or do you have to sign up all over again?~Ally
~Ally

Freeradical79
Cloudbusting!

23 Jul 2006, 03:50 #12

Quote:
or do you have to sign up all over again?
I just tried to sign up or sign in and had the same problem that Steve mentioned above. Boo! Ah well. Time for an identity change! Image
can't move my arms * can't move my legs * can't say no * i can't say yes * can't help myself * i need your help

...there ain't a single night, when I haven't held you
tight...

...but its always inside my head, never inside my bed...

23 Jul 2006, 08:59 #13

Can you really not send PMs to people with a Yuku account? I was going to sign up but this has put me right off. I know BigStripeyDave has a Yuku account, can you tell us more Dave? Cheers Image
Stu--------------
And I stood very still by the window sill
And I wondered for those I love still

23 Jul 2006, 09:41 #14

I'm sure you can but I can't see how yet. Have you got my trousers?

Mondo Sinistro
Cloudbusting!

23 Jul 2006, 10:48 #15

One quick thing that will tell you a lot about whether they have their $h1t together--will they TILL have PAGES? Pages are totally lame, and used in so many places. Absurd--as if we were still dealing with paper. Even the old usenet had better navigation capabilities.

23 Jul 2006, 10:55 #16

Yes you can send messages I see now!!! Have you got your trousers?

bigstripeydave
Looking (At The Big Sky!)

23 Jul 2006, 13:22 #17

How do you make friends, John? I see you have five. Currently I have no friends. Image
Proud member of the "Kate IS/WAS/AND CONTINUES TO BE WONDERFUL Nutters" Club

your name is being called by sacred things that are not addressed or listened to
sometimes they blow trumpets
this house is full of madness

dave's space

Stev0prime
Cloudbusting!

23 Jul 2006, 15:49 #18

One more thing - will it still bump poll threads just because somebody voted in it? If so, WHY?!?
=======
=======

23 Jul 2006, 18:29 #20

Quote:
Yes you can send messages I see now!!!
How? I still can't see...do you need to be a Yuku member to send a message? I can see a 'leave a comment' thingy but will they be private? Cheers Image
Stu--------------
And I stood very still by the window sill
And I wondered for those I love still